Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Big Skippers = Big Fun

Hello all,
I decided to head down to Shawnee today after work to look for a very rare butterfly in Ohio.  Linda Romine Called me yesterday to let me know she had found Golden-Banded Skippers in Shawnee St. Forest.  I zipped down there today and was able to refind them and it was a life butterfly for me and a very rare butterfly throughout eastern North America.  Through the course of the afternoon, I found all five of the regular Ohio "Big Skippers."  They are:  Golden-Banded, Northern Cloudywing, Southern Cloudywing, Hoary Edge, and Silver Spotted Skipper.  The only one I didn't photograph was the final one, but I'm guessing you know what those look like:)  I also had my first swarthy skipper and banded hairstreak of the year and a large Black Racer sunning on the road.  Here are the big skippers:

Northern Cloudywing

Hoary Edge

Golden Banded Skipper

Southern Cloudywing

No comments:

Post a Comment